Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What is considered overprotective?

My darling 10 year old Olivia was invited to a birthday party this evening. Yes, it was a school night, no big deal, it was over by 7:30, but that wasn't the issue. The party was at one of those big places full of blow up slides, and zip lines, and all that fun stuff. I can't even begin to count how many times we have been there between my three girls and all of the birthday parties they are invited to. You sign a waver, leave a cell phone number and come pick them up when it is over. Now, whenever my kids are invited to a party if I don't know the family at all or the other kids that are invited sometimes I stay. Tonight I had no reason to worry, I knew almost all of the kids invited, and have been to many parties there. Well, I arranged a car pool, I dropped off and Kim was picking up. She got there and come to find out the birthday girl and her parents (the supposed hosts) left right at 7:30 and left a group of kids there alone! They didn't even tell the kids they were leaving or the staff, they just took off. Can you say PSYCHO! Kim called me to tell me what had happened, she was furious, and ended up staying until everyone was picked up. The staff hadn't even realized that the family had left so there were 5 kids there completely unsupervised with a bunch of clueless teenage employees that were busy cleaning up because they were closed and wanted to go home. Needless to say I called the Mom. I only got her voicemail but OOOOOH, she knows I was furious! I kept my voice calm and was even tempered but I let her know that what she did was wrong and I was furious that she would leave my child alone unattended, that I had trusted she would be safe at her daughters birthday party and how wrong I was to have ever thought that! I know I am not the only mom she heard from either. I usually get the worst case of the guilts when I think I might be offending someone, I HATE CONFLICT, I avoid it all costs, tonight I do not feel the least bit guilty!!!!!!!

Okay, so after all of that venting, Olivia made me laugh tonight. She asked if we had any top ramen. We don't. She informed me that one of her friends has started bringing raw top ramen to school for lunch and they all love it, so now everyone is starting to bring it. She insists the raw noodles are delicious! She has always loved uncooked spaghetti noodles, so it really isn't a surprise to me that she loves uncooked ramen. But, she informed me she was the only one that wasn't going to have ramen tomorrow because we are "OUT OF STOCK"! Out of stock? I didn't know my kitchen was a store. I guess I need to go buy some ramen,

10 comments:

Sara LaClaire said...

omgoodness! i would freak out! there's a good chance that lady would have found me on her door step that night. wow! glad everyone got home safely.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would be livid if that happened to my kids. I think you were right to let the mom know.
Top ramen huh? Kids like the strangest things sometimes. Hey, it's cheap.

Mandy said...

That is so terrible. I would have chewed her out in a PO'd voice, unlike you. You are too good. :)

Bubbles said...

Seriously I would be ticked off too. Honestly I wouldn't have to do much. My husband would probably have a little chatt with the parents, ya know?:)

Melinda said...

that's freaky! I'd be mad too :)

TheKeilShpeel said...

Wow.. I can't believe that. My jaw dropped when I read that. Are you serious? All those kids? You have every right to be furious.

Knowhutahmean said...

What are some people thinking, or should I say not thinking? Olivia, your dad used to like Top Ramen too, only I don't think he ever tried it raw, or at school. Happy crunching. Grandma

Kris, Andrea, Lacey, Mia, and Kannon said...

Yeah, LIVID! I used to take ramen to school when I was a kid. It was the trend then too.

Living on love. said...

THAT is HORRIBLE!!! We had a similar situation and they let our 7 year olds hang out outside...IN THE DARK at the curb with no supervision. Needless to say, she is not allowed to associate with that family anymore!

Well, Ramen noodles have reached up here too...do kids get weird or do we just grow up, LOL?

Sara said...

That is awful! I can't believe they really thought it was OK to just leave all those kids unsupervised and not making sure they all got home safe. I'm impressed you kept your cool because I don't know if I would have been able to.

Oh, and that's hilarious about the ramen noodles. Good thing they're cheap so that you can stock up again! :)