Thursday, March 26, 2009

CANCUN!!!!

Stan and I left on March 16th (Happy Birthday Dad) for Cancun, Mexico! In our almost 13 years of being married I think this is only our third get away. It was way overdue! Vern and Ruthie came to stay with the kiddos so I didn't even cry as we were flying away because I knew they would be fine! I was actually so excited to go somewhere tropical with my husband for a week and just have it be the two of us!

As soon as we got into town we headed to our hotel and changed into swimsuits to go down to the beach and check things out.

A view from our balcony.
Another balcony shot with Stan and a parasailer behind him. Isn't the color of the water incredible. That is the Caribean for you!
A shot of us in front of our hotel while we were waiting for our car.

This is a picture of our hotel taken from the beach, it was incredible. I would so stay there again!

We started the week off with a yummo dinner at La Distelleria with a Mango Magheritta (virgin of course). The week was perfect, relaxing, and time spent with eachother!

TUESDAY, was ISLA MUJRERS. We wanted to do some snorkling and was told The Isla Mujrers was the best place to go. We took about a 20 minute ferry ride over to the island. Here is a picture of it from the ferry.
It was beautiful! We would even consider staying on the island next time we go to Cancun. The beaches are gorgeous and there are very little waves so you can just walk out forever and find sand bars and be waist deep in crystal blue water, it was really more aqua. It was gorgeous. It also had a more ethnic vibe to it and was much more small town.
The ferry ride over.

Okay, so my biggest fear, SHARKS! However I was on vacation with my husband and was going to hang out with him even if that meant going in a small boat and then being told put on your gear and jump out! Yes, in the middle of the ocean I just jumped out of a boat! The dive masters went with us all around a beautiful reef and we snorkled for the afternoon. It was incredible.

Me touching a fish.

Stan snorkeling.

After an afternoon in the water we had the greatest lunch at some local place. The place was incredible. Can I just tell you that I love guacomole.

Chicken tostadas, yummo!

We then took off to walk around the rest of the island.
Snorkeling wasn't enoughfor Stan. He had to wrestle a nurse shark. It was really quite cool, he actually picked the thing up and it was big.
Our way back to Cancun after a fun day in the sun!

WEDNESDAY, was the day Stan had to work. This trip was actually planned around a factory visit that Stan had to do for work. I didn't mind at all. He was up and gone early. I slept in, got my swimsuit on and headed to the beach by 9:00. I had my own palapa and chair right on the beach. I read a book and a half, went on a couple of walks, took naps, was waited on and enjoyed every minute of it! I decided around 5 to head back up to the room and get ready for a night out of shopping. Since Stan had the car I just hopped on the bus and headed to the busy part of Cancun! I had a great time. A day looking at this................

Stan after work headed over to the Mexico Merida Temple. If you don't know any of Stan's obsessions this is one of them. He has done sessions in probably over 60 temples. I would have loved to go with him to this one but it was a couple of hours past his factory, which would have been crazy amounts of driving to come back and pick me up.

THURSDAY, A day spent NOT on the beach! Yes, there was a day spent out of the sun not working on our tans. It was tough but being so close to so many amazing things, we needed to take a day to sight see. Especially since CHICHEN ITZA was just made one of the 7 Wonders of the World!

This is in front of the main pyramid. When you see a picture of Chichen Itza this is what you see. It is amazing to see what those people built. We were so lucky to be there when we were. Every year on the day of the Spring Equinox there is a shadow on the pyramid that appears as a snake. The Equinox was actually Saturday the 21st, so were there 2 days before the shadow was complete but we saw it and it was amazing!

Me before going in.......

In this picture you can see what the shadow would look like complete.

This is what we saw of the shadow. It was actually more complete by the time we left but the clouds were not nice us and kept creeping in.
Chichen Itza was about a two hour drive from Cancun. We rented a car so were able to drive through some neat cities and take our time and sight see. Again, just enjoying our time alone!

There are Cenotes all of the region of Mexico where we were. A Cenote is a natural fresh water whole in the middle of no where.This is a picture of Stan walking underground to Cenote Zachy.

This is what you saw once you climbed through a cave down quite a bit of stairs. You can see how clear the water was.

Us at the Cenote.

While we were at Chichen Itza they have vendors all over, yelling, "lady, lady, almost free!". I didn't want to buy anything from any of them until we turned a corner and saw this sweet LITTLE lady! I had to buy a handercheif from her. And those little dresses, I thought they just made them from the tourists, but they all really wear them!

So, after driving what seemed like all over Mexico we got back to Cancun around 7:00. We were exhausted and just felt dirty so we went back to our room and ordered room service for dinner and then headed down to our pool around midnight. I know romantic, huh! I thought so. It was a good week!
FRIDAY, our last day. Were we excited to get home and see our kids, OF COURSE! Did we want to come home, NO! We had a perfect week of relaxing and just being together and enjoying eachother with no time constraints, no demands, no interruptions....... It was a great week.
We had to leave for the airport by 2:00pm so we were up and at the pool by around 8:00, I know what you are thinking..... you were on vacation, why didn't we sleep in. It is amazing how you wake up well rested in the morning with no kids coming and climbing into bed with you. Plus our room was so amazing, we slept with the sliding glass doors to our balcony opened every night and listened to the waves all night long! As much as we missed our bed(we have the most comfortable bed EVER!) We slept so good! So we requested a late check out so we could work on our tan for the longest time possible. It felt so good to lay in the perfect sun next to the bluest beach and just be! From there we went back to our room showered, and packed. Then we went and had one more amazing mexican lunch on the beach and headed to the airport!

Stan after a coconut!

Me in one of the hotels 7 pools. We were by the pool from 8-12, our last day to work on our tans! It was a beautiful infinity pool right on the beach! We loved our hotel!

Stan working on his tan.


Sophie loves shells. She has tonz. She has a bunch that My Mom and her found together on the beach in Hong Kong. And then when my Mom and Dad went to Miami a couple of years ago Mom came home with a bunch of shells for Sophie. So Stan and I spent some time the last day searching for the ultimate shell to bring home for Sophie! Find it we did!

Finally the poor iguana that met his fate when Stan ran over him parking our car!

12 comments:

Raimi said...

Looks like an awesome trip! Loved seeing all of the pictures. I so need to escape with John. I can't even tell you the last time we went away, just the two of us. I hope you are feeling better this week.

Mandy said...

So fun! Cancun is definitely one of the places on our list to visit in the next few years. Beautiful!

Becky said...

Looks so fun! I want to go there! I would be on a perpetual trip if I could! I am addicted to traveling! Thanks for sharing.

Sara LaClaire said...

what a fun trip! i'm so jealous. you guys look like you had such a great time. your pictures in the sun make me feel even more cold in this 30 degree weather. :D

Living on love. said...

FUN! If only I could get my husband to go anywhere besides Disneyland we would be set!!!

Grandma Utah said...

We loved being with the kids and are so happy you had such a good time

Sara said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so jealous! That looks like it was just such a fabulous vacation! I would have had a hard time coming home too!

TheKeilShpeel said...

I wanna go! It's beautiful there.. :) I'm so jealous..

Emily and David said...

FUN! Great pictures!

Jyll said...

Looks like a great trip and I'm glad you were able to get away!

Allie and Reed said...

I'm so jealous. It looks like you guys had a great time.

Brynnly and Alan said...

What a fun trip! I love Cancun! That hotel looks amazing! Isn't the water so beautiful?! I'm so jealous you got to go somewhere tropical! You guys deserve it and I'm glad you got to do it! Happy late birthday to Stan!
P.s. Favorite joke a cab driver down there told us: "What's the difference between Cancun and Miami? They speak Spanish in Miami." Haha! Funny bc it's true!