Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I don't want to get Baptised!

As much as I am in the car with my kids shuttling them back and forth to various activities I love to listen to their conversations. I think sometimes they don't think I can hear all the way in the front seat.
Today as I drove Isabella to her dance class I turned off the stereo and just listened to a brother and sister have a conversation. It started with Ian saying, "I am not getting baptised!". I
wanted to ask why but thought I would listen to Isabella's questions as she tried to convince her brother it was the right thing to do when he turned 8! As Isabella explained to him the importance of it I understood exactly why he does not want to get baptised. She told him how exciting it would be to have Daddy put him in the water and say a prayer and then he would dunk him. Then afterwards he would get a very special gift, God and Jesus would give him a ghost and it would go inside his body so that it would be with him ALWAYS! Ian wanted nothing to do with the ghost! Isabella tried to reassure him that the ghost that would be in his body would only help him when he was scared of monsters and having nightmares. It wouldn't leave him and would comfort him.
My sweet Isabella understands it all so well, yet when she explains it is so very scary for a 3 year old to comprehend. I just had to smile and listen. When Isabella went into dance I talked with Ian a bit, I still don't think I have him convinced that it is something he'll one day want, he trusts his big sister!

9 comments:

The Marsden 6 said...

Cute! I can just imagine Bella's cute voice telling him all about it!

KickButtMommy said...

That's the cutest thing I have ever heard.

Grandma Utah said...

AAAAH! That is the sweetest testimony. Too bad you can't send it in Bella speak.

Brynnly and Alan said...

SO cute! I love that story! Ian is smart. I wouldn't want to get baptised either. haha!

Sara LaClaire said...

maybe you can just tell him the important reason why we get baptized is that we officially become a member of Heavenly Father's church & not talk about the "ghost". :D
it's the total opposite over here. my boys can't wait for the ghost cause "it's their friend" lol

Raimi said...

Out of the mouths of babes! What a great big sister, trying to expalain it to him so he would understand :-)! Very sweet!

Seamons Family said...

That sounds like an interesting conversation.lol If I heard the word ghost at his age I think I would be feeling the same way. Isabella had such a sweet way of trying to help him understand. I just loved that. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

haha i love that!

Unknown said...

I can SO see and hear Isabella explaining it all to Ian.

I really had never thought about the word "Holy Ghost" thru the eyes, ears and understanding of a little person. Definitely something to think about. :)