Tuesday, September 1, 2009

RWHF Thumper!

Sophie and her bunny THUMPER!

As you may remember Sophie won a raffle at the Relay For Life this year. She won a live baby bunny. Wasn't I excited?, NOT! Turned out I loved this little bunny just as much as her and the rest of the family. It was the cutest thing. It loved loved loved being held. It knew it's name and came when you called her. When she was outback enjoying the freedom of being able to hop around (she wasn't allowed that freedom in the house due to her massive amount of pellet poop) she would come to the back door and scratch at it to get our attention and try to get in the house. She was a great pet. I never knew just how easy bunnies were. They are not however easy to loose.

Last Friday she was out hoping around the back yard while the kids were getting ready for school. While I was in my bathroom getting ready for the day I could hear them at the breakfast table laughing at her trying to get in at the back door.

As I was brushing my teeth I looked out my bathroom window to see a neighborhood cat, that we don't like but is around so much we have named Pickles, walking along our back fence, I just got a glance but it looked like it was carrying something in its mouth. All of a sudden I thought of Thumper. Our cats, Glinda and Tiger, like Thumper and even play with her but they also realize she is a pet. I literally threw my toothbrush and started running outside. I passed the kids at the breakfast table and was yelling at Stan to come help, they put together what was going on because they had seen pickles in the back yard as well. They all started screaming and crying as Stan and I were running outside to save our bunny. I got to the side of the house to see Pickles walking along our fence with Thumper in its mouth. I died, I assume Pickles was taking his catch home to proudly show his owners and then have a little breakfast. I jumped on the fence and caught the cat by the tail, it being freaked out dropped Thumper into the neighbors back yard. That is a long fall for a little bunny with very fragile bones. Thumper however survived with flying colors, we thought. She got a lot of extra attention the rest of the day and she seemed fine.

Monday morning before school Sophie was on bunny duty, giving it an ice bottle, feed and watering her. I noticed that she didn't feed her and asked her why and she told me she hadn't been eating. I knew that was bad! I went and got her after the kids left for school and she definitely had a broken leg, I was sick that we didn't see it Friday, although she had been hopping around. I called vets, they wanted $50.oo to see her and if it was broken another $100 to do you know what. I couldn't rationalize it, either could Stan! So we waited the day and were going to see how she did and she died during the night sleeping right next to Sophie's bed. Sophie came running in my room at 6:30am crying to tell me she didn't think she was breathing.


Before school Sophie helped me get her favorite blanket, lie it in a box (Steve Madden of course), and I lay the bunny inside. She then got all of its favorite toys and name tag and arranged them inside with her. It was so sweet. I felt so bad, she cried all day, even at school. Olivia and Isabella didn't do very good either. There were lots of tears that day. So of course that evening we had a proper funeral.

Sophie and and Olivia putting the dirt on Thumper.
Everyone got to take a turn shoveling dirt, as they did they said something that they loved about Thumper.


Ian and Isabella took turns as well as their cousins. When we were done Sophie wanted some time alone outside with Thumper. I wanted to cry.

So, here sits our bunny hutch, beautifully hand crafted by Stan the Man EMPTY!



I was so happy that Sophie had dance on Tuesday and could forget her pain for a couple of hours.

Look at this girl tap!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Poor Bunny. I've heard they make such good pets. Maybe one day we'll have to get one.

meg said...

SADDEST. STORY. EVER :( I just dang near cried :(

Megan xoxo